Many video production agencies don’t realize how much waste is actually produced on set – from costumes to sets, food and film the industry is a huge contributor of waste.
At BARS+TONE we are constantly exploring ways to limit our eco-footprint by working to identify best practices, educate and empower our employees and clients to make more environmentally responsible choices.
Here are a few things we have done to help minimize the environmental impact while working and growing in San Francisco.
In Our Swanky Office
- Buy green office supplies and use cleaning agents low in VOC’s.
- Stock paper and office supply products with at least 50% post-consumer recycled content.
- Uses recycled or remanufactured toner cartridges and set all printers for low-res economy printing.
- Recycle all paper, cans, bottles, batteries, electronics, and donate usable electronics to local schools.
- Provide compost bins in the kitchen and restrooms.
- Use energy star qualified fluorescent lamps low in mercury in and around the office for lighting
- Use a water filter in place of bottled water and provide reusable plates, cups and cutlery instead of providing disposable products.
- Turn off all lights and unplug electronics at the end of each day.
- Efficient cloud based workflow systems for office operations, HR, and project management.
- Paperless invoicing and vendor payment system.
Set Locations and Production Shoots
- Use set construction “Green Resources” like TMAX – Theatre Materials Exchange to donate and receive theatre-related materials and equipment.
- Invest in energy-efficient equipment and use LED’s where possible for shoots.
- Use recycled paints and sealants with a green seal certification for set construction.
- Donate re-usable materials like art supplies, props, signage and promotional items to local programs like SCRAP
- Setup the shoot location with recycling, compost, and waste bins to reduce waste, and control litter.
- Use a water cooler in place of bottled water and provide biodegradable plates and cups for the crew
- Serve organic and locally catered food.
- Donate leftover food to the homeless.
To learn more about how to green your business practices, check out the SF Green Business website!
What actions are you taking to go green?